Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Balloon Popping

I couldn’t believe what I read…did I read it correctly? Apparently I did. A priest decided that he wanted to break the world’s record of flying by helium balloons for over nineteen hours. During the whole time that I was reading the article, I thought of it as almost like a cartoon that I have seen when I was younger, like in Winnie the Pooh.

The priest, Rev. Adelir Antonio de Carli, did not just do this stunt to break the record that is held but did it for a good cause. He was using the money that he earned to fund a “spiritual rest stop for truckers.” Going into this challenge he was given a GPS system (so that he could be tracked), a floatation device, a thermal suit, and a parachute. At first everything was well until he called for help. He was in contact with port authority until they lost connection. There was a search for the missing priest eight hours after he went missing. They still have not found him after a day searching. However, they did find balloon pieces scattered. It is believed that if he is uninjured he will be able to live for at least five days if not longer.

I still can’t believe that this story is real as I feel it is something that I always thought as impossible. That is to fly away with just balloons! I hope that searchers are able to find him before it is too late. Carli’s heart was in the right place trying to help others out in a stunt that has proved to be dangerous.

No comments: