Thursday, March 6, 2008

Breath Taking


When I first heard that Patrick Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, my heart stopped. I have been a fan of his since the first time I watched Dirty Dancing when I was little. Throughout my life, Dirty Dancing has been one of my favorites along with other movies that Patrick has starred in.

Pancreatic cancer is a cancer that starts in the pancreas. However, the cells of this type of cancer spread by dividing itself into unlimited amounts. This cancer also is one that most likely spreads throughout the body to other organs. Around 33,000 people of all ages in the United States are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer each year. It is stated that those diagnosed do not live longer than 5 years after they find out.

According to CNN, they state that the doctors are being optimistic about Patrick's recovery. They also state that treatment is helping right now. Patrick is not continuing to work on new projects during this time although A&E cable networks is currently looking at his pilot of "The Beast.

In another article from CNN, Whoopi Goldberg said that she wouldn't have won an Academy Award if not for Patrick. It also is said that Patrick made it a point that if Whoopi was not casted for the part of Oda Mae Brown in Ghost that he would not be a part of the production. At the end of the article Whoopi says, "We want you to feel better- we will talk soon, I hope."

Like Whoopi, I hope that Patrick feels better and that he is comfortable with no pain. Patrick has been and will continue to be a star and a role model to many. Regardless of what is to come, I hope that Patrick realizes that he has touched many with his work. Also, I hope that he and his family knows that many people are praying for him and the others that are battling this disease.

1 comment:

Orelinde_03 said...

Chris...
Very well put. I too was devistated when I first ehard the news about Patrick's medical problem. I was 11 years old when Dirty Dancing was in the theaters, and saw it for the first time.
Not only did I think he was (and still is) a handsome man, I was in awe of his dancing skills. You never hear about him in a negative manner in the press.
My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family during this dark time. I also again think you did a great job on this topic.
~Rosie