Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ten Inches of LOVE

Everyone for the most part has heard of Locks of Love. It is when you donate a minimum of ten inches of hair to an organization that takes it and turns it into a wig for children who have lost their own hair due to a disease. The organization has been around since 1997. It was created by a woman named Mrs. Coffman. She had developed alopecia in her 20's and her daughter than developed it when she was 4 years old. It was difficult for her daughter to lose her hair. She then created this organization to help her daughter and other children that face the same disease or other diseases that cause hair lose. (This is according to the website.)

I actually have donated for the first time this past summer. I was able to donate about 12 inches to the organization of Locks of Love. I remember the day very well as I knew that it was time to cut my hair and donate it. It has been a goal of mine to donate when one of my friends told me that her sister was diagnosed with cancer. She lost her hair due to chemotherapy that she was receiving. When I was sitting in the chair at the salon, I had a thousand different things going through my head. I remember debating if I should go through with it because I wasn't ready to cut my hair. Then I remembered that it was going to go to a child that doesn't have hair and that they would be so happy when they were able to receive a wig. While they cut my hair, it was very emotional for me as I knew that I was doing good for someone else but I was also losing a part of me. I feel that it was worth it to donate my hair to a good cause and I would do it again. I also have multiple friends that have also donated their hair and they have said that it was also emotional for them and likewise that it was all worth it.

Over all, Locks of Love has been able to help around 2,000 children. However, with the help of everyone, many more children will be able to be helped if everyone donated at least once in their life. I cannot wait to be able to donate again and hopefully bring a smile to a childs face.

If you are interested you can print out a form and donate as long as you qualify. When you donate you are also able to take photos and send them in along with the hair so they can be seen on the internet.

No comments: